Subject: 28.0.50; eshell: No such directory found via CDPATH environment variable

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2020 07:28:53 +0300

Working directory: /home/data1/protected

Following is invoked as emacs -Q:

M-x eshell

$ cd tmp 

~/tmp $ cd zim-admin
No such directory found via CDPATH environment variable

y~/tmp $ cd ..
/home/data1 $ No such directory found via CDPATH environment variable

If I am in ~/tmp, by "cd .." I should get in /home/data1/protected,
instead I find myself in /home/data1

My $HOME is /home/data1/protected

/home/data1 $ cd protected/
No such directory found via CDPATH environment variable

/home/data1 $ cd protected/
No such directory found via CDPATH environment variable
/home/data1 $ ls -l
total 96
drwxr-xr-x   4 postgres       postgres  4096 2018-06-07  2018 database
drwxr-xr-x 233 admin          admin    94208 2020-10-01 07:22 protected

directory is obviously there

/home/admin is symlink to /home/data1/protected:

/home/data1 $ ls -l
total 96
drwxr-xr-x   4 postgres       postgres  4096 2018-06-07  2018 database
drwxr-xr-x 233 admin          admin    94208 2020-10-01 07:22 protected
/home/data1 $ cd /home/admin
/home/admin $ ls -l
total 3749
-rw-r--r--   1 admin          admin       4206 2020-10-01 07:23 #*message*-20201001-072114#
-rw-------   1 admin          admin     307724 2020-09-26 16:22 A1.pdf
drwxr-xr-x   2 admin          admin       4096 2020-09-29 23:14 Aufnahmen
drwxr-xr-x   3 admin          admin       4096 2020-09-30 02:06 Desktop
drwxr-x---  32 admin          admin       4096 2020-09-06 09:48 Documents
drwx------  22 admin          admin      28672 2020-09-30 21:11 Downloads
drwxr-xr-x   4 admin          admin       4096 2019-11-09  2019 GNUstep
drwx------50488 admin          admin    2359296 2020-09-30 19:24 Maildir
drwxr-x---  13 admin          admin       4096 2020-09-16 02:19 Media
-rw-------   1 admin          admin     705245 2020-09-26 16:34 PLM0208KGR.pdf
drwxr-x---  32 admin          admin       4096 2019-10-06  2019 Programming
drwxr-xr-x   3 admin          admin       4096 2019-08-16  2019 R
drwxr-xr-x  19 admin          admin       4096 2020-07-06 11:09 TO-DO
drwxr-xr-x   4 admin          admin      12288 2020-09-30 20:16 TO-SORT
drwx------  10 admin          admin       4096 2018-06-17  2018 Work
drwxr-xr-x   8 admin          admin      20480 2020-09-30 19:38 bin
-rw-r--r--   1 admin          admin      20255 2020-09-30 19:47 kdeconnect-01.jpg
drwxr-xr-x  14 admin          admin       4096 2018-10-13  2018 lib
drwxr-xr-x 185 admin          admin      12288 2020-05-15 12:06 public_html
drwxrwxrwt  46 admin          admin     327680 2020-10-01 03:07 tmp
/home/admin $

from /home/admin I "cd tmp" it works, if I wish to cd to zim-admin
directory inside: 
No such directory found via CDPATH environment variable

Then I do "cd", it works again:

~/tmp $ cd zim-admin
No such directory found via CDPATH environment variable
~/tmp $ cd
~ $ pwd
/home/data1/protected
~ $

~ $ ls
Text is read-only

If I kill eshell buffer and get into new one:

Welcome to the Emacs shell

/home/data1 $

but my HOME is /home/data1/protected

/home/data1 $ echo $HOME
/home/data1/protected

/home/data1 $ cd
~ $ pwd
/home/data1/protected

there are weird things happening in eshell

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 15, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.14.8, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2020-09-24 built on protected.rcdrun.com
Repository revision: de54cd6f0edb3619777c17fe75560c5c84fed8a4
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11907000
System Description: Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/package/text/emacs-2020-09-24
 --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-modules --without-gpm
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/data1/protected/GNUstep/Library/Libraries/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER
LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=exwm-xim
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Eshell

Minor modes in effect:
  eshell-prompt-mode: t
  eshell-hist-mode: t
  eshell-pred-mode: t
  eshell-cmpl-mode: t
  eshell-proc-mode: t
  eshell-arg-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort hashcash mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util
rmail rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils pcmpl-unix
em-unix em-term term disp-table easymenu ehelp em-script em-prompt em-ls
cl-loaddefs cl-lib em-hist em-pred em-glob em-dirs esh-var em-cmpl
pcomplete comint ansi-color ring em-basic em-banner em-alias esh-mode
eshell esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module
esh-groups esh-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 72220 5021)
 (symbols 48 8946 1)
 (strings 32 25490 2689)
 (string-bytes 1 840241)
 (vectors 16 15547)
 (vector-slots 8 205830 10455)
 (floats 8 31 41)
 (intervals 56 484 203)
 (buffers 992 13))

-- 
Thanks,
Jean Louis