Subject: Re: bug#43726: 28.0.50; Misaligned read/unread items in Gnus group buffer

From: Pankaj Jangid <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2020 11:39:20 +0530

On Wed, Sep 30 2020, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Looks like Emacs picked a font where the bold space character was wider
> than the non-bold space character.  :-/

This is true. Both the colons are in column 10. But still
mis-aligned. Today, I have this kind of alignment again. Hence
reposting here.

> I'm guessing this was because of an odd set of installed fonts or
> something?  In any case, I guess there's nothing to be done here, so I'm
> closing thing bug report.

I have this output from ‘C-u C-x =’, on normal font line

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
             position: 146 of 1067 (14%), column: 10
            character: : (displayed as :) (codepoint 58, #o72, #x3a)
              charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
code point in charset: 0x3A
               script: latin
               syntax: . 	which means: punctuation
             category: .:Base, >:Not at bol, a:ASCII, l:Latin, r:Roman
             to input: type "C-x 8 RET 3a" or "C-x 8 RET COLON"
          buffer code: #x3A
            file code: #x3A (encoded by coding system utf-8-unix)
              display: by this font (glyph code)
    mac-ct:-*-Menlo-normal-normal-normal-*-12-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1 (#x1D)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

And on bold line,

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
             position: 181 of 1067 (17%), column: 10
            character: : (displayed as :) (codepoint 58, #o72, #x3a)
              charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
code point in charset: 0x3A
               script: latin
               syntax: . 	which means: punctuation
             category: .:Base, >:Not at bol, a:ASCII, l:Latin, r:Roman
             to input: type "C-x 8 RET 3a" or "C-x 8 RET COLON"
          buffer code: #x3A
            file code: #x3A (encoded by coding system utf-8-unix)
              display: by this font (glyph code)
    mac-ct:-*-Menlo-bold-normal-normal-*-12-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1 (#x1D)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

See, the position field. What are these 14% and 17% figures?