Subject: bug#43716: 28.0.50; Error with emacsclient <file>:

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 09:03:31 +0200

Since today, emacsclient file.txt errors with

  *ERROR*: Wrong number of arguments: (1 . 4), 5

That seems to happen after commit:

  7f2c35d028 Fix emacsclient -c foo.txt behaviour with many frames

I've tried M-x toggle-debug-on-error RET in the Emacs instance running
the server but still I don't get a backtrace buffer.

Since I've had not time and needed a working emacs I just reverted to
some older version for now but I'm happy do diagnose the issue later
which might very well be in my .emacs.  I just need some help in how to
find out the erroneous function call with too many args...

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 13, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
 of 2020-09-29 built on jiffyarch
Repository revision: 9f30a6b1a417cebe795956a7eef44b8cd9b71557
Repository branch: master
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --without-x --without-x-toolkit'

Configured features:
SOUND GPM DBUS NOTIFY INOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB XIM MODULES
THREADS LIBSYSTEMD PDUMPER

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Magit

Minor modes in effect:
  cursor-sensor-mode: t
  rcirc-track-minor-mode: t
  global-aggressive-indent-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  global-magit-file-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  visual-filename-abbrev-mode: t
  bug-reference-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  global-subword-mode: t
  subword-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug mule-util magit-extras cursor-sensor face-remap sort
gnus-cite qp mm-archive gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml hl-line nndraft
nnmh rot13 utf-7 secrets nnml nnnil gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual gnus-cache gnus-demon nntp spam spam-stat gnus-uu
yenc gnus-msg gnus-gravatar mail-extr gravatar url-cache gnus-topic
gnus-registry registry eieio-base dns misearch multi-isearch
network-stream rcirc-color th-private rcirc term/screen term/xterm xterm
cus-edit cus-start cus-load company-oddmuse company-keywords
company-etags etags fileloop generator company-gtags
company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files company-clang
company-capf company-cmake company-semantic company-template
company-bbdb paredit vc-mtn vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs
vc-rcs display-fill-column-indicator auto-package-update finder-inf
generic logview datetime extmap bindat fish-mode cargo cargo-process
rust-mode web-mode disp-table eglot array jsonrpc ert pp debug backtrace
xref flymake-proc flymake mwheel compile deadgrep spinner hl-todo
aggressive-indent rainbow-mode vc-git vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher
epa-file org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro
org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table ol
org-keys org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs dired-x dired-collapse dired-hacks-utils f s smtpmail-multi
smtpmail sendmail ecomplete auto-dictionary flyspell ispell tramp-smb
tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat
ls-lisp which-key highlight-parentheses company-restclient
know-your-http-well http-status-codes http-relations http-methods
http-headers company pcase raven project yasnippet restclient forge-list
forge-commands forge-semi forge-bitbucket buck forge-gogs gogs
forge-gitea gtea forge-gitlab glab forge-github ghub-graphql treepy
gsexp ghub let-alist gnutls forge-notify forge-revnote forge-pullreq
forge-issue forge-topic forge-post markdown-mode color thingatpt
noutline outline forge-repo forge forge-core forge-db closql
emacsql-sqlite emacsql emacsql-compiler magit-submodule magit-obsolete
magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull
magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence
magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch
magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit magit-repos
magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func imenu magit-diff smerge-mode
diff diff-mode magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify
magit-margin magit-transient magit-process magit-mode git-commit
transient format-spec magit-git magit-section magit-utils crm log-edit
pcvs-util add-log with-editor async-bytecomp advice async shell
pcomplete comint ansi-color ring server dash visual-filename-abbrev
debbugs soap-client url-http url-auth url-gw nsm warnings rng-xsd rng-dt
rng-util xsd-regexp bug-reference use-package-bind-key bind-key
easy-mmode mb-depth use-package-diminish windmove elec-pair regexp-opt
rx recentf tree-widget cap-words superword subword saveplace savehist
paren smiley gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum
url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history mailcap shr
kinsoku url-cookie url-domsuf url-util image svg dom gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
derived epg epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus wid-edit nnheader
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
text-property-search time-date mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils edmacro
kmacro modus-operandi-theme modus-vivendi-theme dracula-theme diminish
cl-extra help-mode use-package-ensure use-package-core info tool-bar
package easymenu browse-url url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map
url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 891278 84285)
 (symbols 48 50632 17)
 (strings 32 266731 12920)
 (string-bytes 1 8292644)
 (vectors 16 81831)
 (vector-slots 8 1674061 217319)
 (floats 8 605 1078)
 (intervals 56 14086 214)
 (buffers 992 45))