Subject: bug#43716: 28.0.50; Error with emacsclient <file>:

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 16:07:06 +0200

Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]> writes:

> I cannot reproduce the issue with "emacs -Q", though, so it's most
> probably something with my configuration or some 3rd party package.  If
> I'd know the function call site or at least what function's called with
> too many args, I'd probably figure out what's the problem.

It's unfortunate that there's no way to get Emacs to reliably give a
backtrace -- I'm guessing there's a condition-case somewhere in the
server code that inhibits the debugging?

Does

(setq debug-ignored-errors nil
      debug-on-error t)

help with getting a backtrace?  (It's a long shot...)

(setq debug-on-message "arguments")

may allow the backtrace to appear in some circumstances. 

> Starting program: /home/horn/Repos/el/emacs/lib-src/emacsclient ~/tmp/test.aux
> Waiting for Emacs...
> *ERROR*: Wrong number of arguments: (1 . 4), 5

I grepped for the string "*ERROR*" in the Emacs source tree, and
couldn't find it, but perhaps it's composed differently.

> [Inferior 1 (process 23487) exited with code 01]
> (gdb) bt
> No stack.
>
> Any help?  My GDB foo is quite low but I can operate it when given
> instructions.

Setting a breakpoint on Fsignal could perhaps work?  My gdb-foo is low,
too, though.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no