Subject: Re: bug#43714: 28.1: auto-revert code improvements [PATCH]

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 15:48:05 +0200

Boruch Baum <[email-masked]> writes:

> Just as a 'for example': I started on this because I saw that the code
> was saving match data, which had me on a wild goose chase hunting for
> why and where it was necessary - I found nothing, and removing the code
> doesn't seem to have ill effect.

That's really hard to tell, though -- the reason for saving the match
data may be in hard-to-trigger circumstances, and the saving was
introduced in a commit of its own, so I'm guessing there was some
specific reason for it.

The commit message is super-helpful here:

commit 33512cbeb168764f83f5a740090ce40b4b948591
Author:     Luc Teirlinck <[email-masked]>
AuthorDate: Wed Jun 1 20:51:03 2005 +0000

    (auto-revert-buffers): Use save-match-data.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no