Subject: bug#43710: missing debug symbols for dino dependencies

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2020 22:50:54 +0200

Hi bdju,

"bdju" <[email-masked]> skribis:

> It seems just the debug symbols for dino weren't quite enough to get
> good info. I also need debug symbols for the other dependencies. For
> sure glib or libglib, whichever it is. If there are other dependencies
> that could have debug output enabled, that would probably be helpful as
> well.

Indeed, not all packages come with debugging symbols, as explained at:

  https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Installing-Debugging-Files.html

However, I think this bug report is not actionable from the maintainer
perspective: we’re not going to enable debugging symbols on dino’s
dependencies (118 packages according to ‘guix graph -t references dino’)
just because one person needs to debug it.

That said, I agree it would be nice to have debugging symbols on key
packages such as GLib and/or to provide a simple way to obtain them (I’m
thinking of a package transformation option.)  That will take some more
time.

I’m closing this bug but feel free to open more specific issues.

Thanks,
Ludo’.