Subject: bug#43709: minibuffer keybinding cheatsheet and launcher [CODE SUBMISSION]

From: Boruch Baum <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 14:22:19 -0400

On 2020-09-29 10:41, Drew Adams wrote:
> Cf. `keysee.el'
>
> https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/KeySee
>
> https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/keysee.el

Oh. Had I known... Would I? / Wouldn't have I? From reading the
emacswiki description, it seems that there are some differences in
presentation. My motivation was specifically to write just a few lines
for an element of another code submission I have pending, and then the
idea got out of control. It didn't occur to me to check emacs-wiki.

BACKGROUND: I have a collection of dired extensions that'll be ready for
submission as soon as I complete the documentation. It includes a set of
'trash' management functions, eg. smart empty trash, restore trashed
file(s), report trash status. But who can be expected to remember all
the arcane keybindings of all the arcane modes? So I wrote it hard-wired
for about four commands of diredc-trash, and then ...

ATTACHED: I'm attaching that original function because someone may ask
why include in `key-assist.el' a programmatic option to supply a list of
elements (command . function). In the attached example, you can see that
I'm presenting a description of the command `diredc-trash-toggle' based
upon what it would do at any particular time.

FOLLOW-UP: Another follow-up might be to supply some specific code for
some notorious major modes. I'm thinking in particular of `calc-mode',
which is such a beauty-in-the-rough, but suffers from a particularly bad
case of keybinding hell (it also suffers from a consistent absence of
docstrings).

--
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1  7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0