Subject: bug#43685: xonotic player ID and starts reporting are broken

From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 00:04:21 +0100

Hi,

As I understand the statistics should also be opt-in to be compliant
with the FSDG and GDPR, and currently they will be opt-out when they
start working.

If you run Xonotic for the first time, after agreeing to the services
TOS, that basically tell you that TOS apply to stats.xonotic.org and to
the xonotic-forum, you are asked if you want to "Allow player
statistics to use your nickname at stats.xonotic.org?".

It also tells you that "Player statistics are enabled by default, you
can change this in the Profile menu". And so even if you select "no" or
"undecided", you are tracked.

Parabola also has a similar issue: https://labs.parabola.nu/issues/3402
though I've not checked if statistics collection work there.

So maybe we could:
(1) Somehow find a way to make statistics work again
(2) Disable statistics by default
(3) Change the text telling users that statistics can be enabled in the
    profile menu.

This looks relatively easy to do but it might not work for
translations. So maybe we could do that and try to upstream a patch for
it? Or do people have another idea.

Also should I open a separate bug for that issue because while it
touches the exact same functionality and that both probably need to be
tackled together technically speaking it's a separate issue?

Denis.