Subject: bug#43683: closed (Re: bug#43683: make install-exec does not trigger make $(BUILT_SOURCES))

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2020 01:19:02 +0000

Your bug report

#43683: make install-exec does not trigger make $(BUILT_SOURCES)

which was filed against the automake package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
43683: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=43683
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#43683: make install-exec does not trigger make $(BUILT_SOURCES)
From: Karl Berry <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2020 19:18:55 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi madmurphy,

    install-exec: $(BUILT_SOURCES)
            $(MAKE) $(AM_MAKEFLAGS) install-exec-am

Thanks very much for the bug report, patch, and test case. I just
applied and pushed it, with small modifications. Please report back if
problems persist. Meanwhile, closing this bug. Thanks again! --karl

Subject: make install-exec does not trigger make $(BUILT_SOURCES)
From: madmurphy <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2020 23:34:54 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I have a project that relies on automatically-built sources, therefore I
have created a BUILT_SOURCES variable in my src/Makefile.am file (see GNU
Automake § 9.4 Built Sources
<https://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Built-Sources-Example.html>).
Everything works perfectly, however I have noticed that if I launch make
install before launching make all the sources are correctly built, but the
same does not happen if I launch make install-exec before launching make all.
So I have examined the generated src/Makefile, and I have found the reason.

Currently src/Makefile.am generates the following code in src/Makefile:

install: $(BUILT_SOURCES)
        $(MAKE) $(AM_MAKEFLAGS) install-am

install-exec: install-exec-am

Evidently install and install-exec are treated differently, and the second
one does not build any source. I believe that the correct generated code
for src/Makefile should be instead:

install: $(BUILT_SOURCES)
        $(MAKE) $(AM_MAKEFLAGS) install-am

install-exec: $(BUILT_SOURCES)
        $(MAKE) $(AM_MAKEFLAGS) install-exec-am

Cheers and thanks, GNU folks, for your incredible work.

--madmurphy