Subject: bug#43682: 28.0.50; Clean up nnimap server buffers?

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2020 03:30:01 +0200

Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> So that's what it's for! That's a mystery solved. It appears that only
> nntp is asynchronous: at least, it's the only backend that implements
> `gnus-asynchronous-p'.

Aha.  nnimap should, too.

> nntp.el also contains `nntp-async-{wait,stop-trigger}', but as far as I
> can tell that has nothing to do with gnus-async.el stuff (?). That's the
> code that appears to make use of "extra processes per server", and
> nnimap doesn't have any of that.

Yes, that's a separate thing...

> Not so far as I can tell. sieve.el and sieve-mode.el don't have anything
> to do with Gnus, and gnus-sieve.el is just about building sieve scripts
> from Gnus splitting rules. (Now that you mention it, it would be nice if
> there were a command to edit an IMAP server's sieve scripts from the
> *Server* buffer.)

Right.  I think there was once some talk about this stuff, but oy vey
the years...

> I'm inclined to delete the alist altogether, but if we keep it at least
> I can give it a docstring.

No, we should keep it and implement the stuff for gnus-asynchronous-p in
nnimap, too.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no