Subject: bug#43672: 28.0.50; select-frame-set-input-focus does not set focus first time called

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 10:15:38 +0200

> I can't say why, but today this works fine with my "normal emacs"; with
 > all packages loaded and running as server/client.
 >
 > When I start with emacs -Q then it does not work; it needs two calls to
 > select-frame-set-input-focus.

That is, you can interleave normal and -Q sessions and in the normal
session "this works" and in the -Q session it doesn't?  Then I'm afraid
that you have to bisect the things you do in your normal session to find
out what makes "this work".

 > I thought it might have something to do with focus and how WM raises
 > windows and gives focus; normally I have focus follow mouse but not auto
 > raising enabled. I have disabled auto-focus (need click into window to
 > give focus) but I see no difference in behaviour.

By design, auto-focus should only affect mouse movements.  One recurring
problem is, however, whether the WM should auto-move the mouse pointer
to a freshly displayed window in order to make sure that if the mouse
pointer was located on another window, that window would not regain
focus immediately due to your auto-focus settings.  Note that that
window _should_ retain focus when you specified 'no-focus-on-map' for
the new frame but IIUC you did not do that.

martin