Subject: bug#43672: 28.0.50; select-frame-set-input-focus does not set focus first time called

From: Arthur Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 22:43:05 +0200

martin rudalics <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Indeed.  After closing the other windows
>
> "windows"?
>
>> here, I saw that the frames
>> were sitting in the background, but with no way to interact with them.
>> (Even after the Emacs process was long gone.)  This has to be a bug in
>> Gnome Shell, but it means that I can't debug the reported error here, so
>> somebody else will have to look at it.
>
> Have you tried with the simpler scenario I posted?
>
> In either case, with xfwm here the child frame gets selected as
> expected.
>
> martin

I can't say why, but today this works fine with my "normal emacs"; with
all packages loaded and running as server/client.

When I start with emacs -Q then it does not work; it needs two calls to
select-frame-set-input-focus.

I thought it might have something to do with focus and how WM raises
windows and gives focus; normally I have focus follow mouse but not auto
raising enabled. I have disabled auto-focus (need click into window to
give focus) but I see no difference in behaviour.