Subject: bug#43672: 28.0.50; select-frame-set-input-focus does not set focus first time called

From: Arthur Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2020 15:34:33 +0200

When calling

      (select-frame-set-input-focus some-frame)

the frame is raised, but does not recieve the focus. I have to call 
twice to 'select-frame-set-input-focus' for the frame to get
focused. Docs says "focused if possible", so I am not sure if it some
bug or/and how much does it depend on my window manager used; but
calling it twice consecutively works.

I have attached an example code. To reproduce, emacs -Q, an eval
attached code.

If I missunderstand docs, or am calling it wrongly, dissregard the
rapport plz :-).

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.23, cairo version 1.17.3)
 of 2020-09-27 built on pascal
Repository revision: dc0cf16c7a60f36aafcf9b56513a855cefa7e1ad
Repository branch: feature/native-comp
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12009000
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --with-gnutls --without-gconf --with-rsvg --with-x
 --with-xwidgets --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --without-xaw3d
 --without-gsettings --with-mailutils --with-nativecomp 'CFLAGS=-O3
 -mtune=native -march=native -fomit-frame-pointer''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM DBUS GLIB NOTIFY INOTIFY ACL
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF ZLIB GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM
MODULES NATIVE_COMP THREADS XWIDGETS LIBSYSTEMD JSON PDUMPER LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: sv_SE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/l

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map text-property-search seq byte-opt
gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils edmacro kmacro time-date subr-x
cl-loaddefs cl-lib pure-menu easy-mmode tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face pcase macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads xwidget-internal dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 65534 9142)
 (symbols 48 7061 0)
 (strings 32 19304 1280)
 (string-bytes 1 699011)
 (vectors 16 12611)
 (vector-slots 8 276483 9931)
 (floats 8 26 105)
 (intervals 56 610 517)
 (buffers 992 13))