Subject: Re: bug#43666: [grep-3.5] make failed on Solaris 11.3 x86/x64

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2020 11:13:48 -0700

On 10/5/20 5:53 AM, Kiyoshi KANAZAWA wrote:

> Make passed both with CC=gcc (CC='gcc -m32) & CC='gcc -m64'.
> But make -k check failed in filename-lineno & triple-backref.
> Segmentation Fault & Abort appeared in triple-backref.
> Warning about cast was also detected with CC='gcc -m64'.

The triple-backref failure is expected (that's what "XFAIL" means); it's a known 
bug that nobody has had time to fix.

The other two problems should not occur, though. One was due to my typo that Jim 
Meyering recently fixed; the other due to a portability glitch in Gnulib that I 
recently fixed. These fixes should appear in the next grep release. I created a 
new grep tarball with the fixes, which you can try if you have the time:

https://www.cs.ucla.edu/~eggert/grep-3.5.8-b3eb.tar.gz

I just tried this on Solaris 10 sparc with Oracle Developer Studio 12.6, and all 
tests passed. There were some compile-time warnings in Gnulib test cases, such as:

"test-accept.c", line 22: warning: initialization type mismatch
"test-intprops.c", line 194: warning: integer overflow detected: op "-"
"test-nl_langinfo-mt.c", line 75: warning: statement not reached
"test-setlocale_null-mt-one.c", line 81: warning: statement not reached
"test-xalloc-die.c", line 27: warning: statement not reached

but these are known issues that Gnulib does not bother to work around, and which 
are not real problems for grep.