Subject: Re: bug#43664: 28.0.50; Crush of X after choosing F10 -> Tutorial

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 18:04:16 +0300

* Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> [2020-09-30 17:58]:
> > Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 17:46:52 +0300
> > From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
> > Cc: [email-masked]
> > 
> > #!/bin/bash
> > gdb -ex run emacs
> > 
> > But do you know how can I pass command line arguments like "$@"?
> 
> "gdb --help" to the rescue:
> 
>   gdb --args emacs $@

Thank you.

I was looking into manual, and did not find the option --args in the
manual so that is bug in the manual, at least on my side.

GDB(1) -- 2017-04-04 -- gdb-7.12.1 -- GNU Development Tools

NAME
	gdb - The GNU Debugger

SYNOPSIS
	gdb [-help] [-nh] [-nx] [-q] [-batch] [-cd=dir] [-f]
	[-b bps]
	    [-tty=dev] [-s symfile] [-e prog] [-se prog] [-c core]
	[-p procID]
	    [-x cmds] [-d dir] [prog|prog procID|prog core]

DESCRIPTION
	The purpose of a debugger such as GDB is to allow you to see
	what is going on "inside" another program while it executes
	- or what another program was doing at the moment it
	crashed.

	GDB can do four main kinds of things (plus other things in
	support of these) to help you catch bugs in the act:

	*   Start your program, specifying anything that might
	    affect its behavior.

	*   Make your program stop on specified conditions.

	*   Examine what has happened, when your program has
	    stopped.

	*   Change things in your program, so you can experiment
	    with correcting the effects of one bug and go on to
	    learn about another.

	You can use GDB to debug programs written in C, C@t{++},
	Fortran and Modula-2.

	GDB is invoked with the shell command "gdb".  Once started,
	it reads commands from the terminal until you tell it to
	exit with the GDB command "quit".  You can get online help
	from GDB itself by using the command "help".

	You can run "gdb" with no arguments or options; but the most
	usual way to start GDB is with one argument or two,
	specifying an executable program as the argument:

		   gdb program

	You can also start with both an executable program and a
	core file specified:

		   gdb program core

	You can, instead, specify a process ID as a second argument,
	if you want to debug a running process:

		   gdb program 1234
		   gdb -p 1234

	would attach GDB to process 1234 (unless you also have a
	file named 1234; GDB does check for a core file first).
	With option -p you can omit the program filename.

	Here are some of the most frequently needed GDB commands:

	break [file:]function
	    Set a breakpoint at function (in file).

	run [arglist]
	    Start your program (with arglist, if specified).

	bt  Backtrace: display the program stack.

	print expr
	    Display the value of an expression.

	c   Continue running your program (after stopping, e.g. at a
	    breakpoint).

	next
	    Execute next program line (after stopping); step over
	    any function calls in the line.

	edit [file:]function
	    look at the program line where it is presently stopped.

	list [file:]function
	    type the text of the program in the vicinity of where it
	    is presently stopped.

	step
	    Execute next program line (after stopping); step into
	    any function calls in the line.

	help [name]
	    Show information about GDB command name, or general
	    information about using GDB.

	quit
	    Exit from GDB.

	For full details on GDB, see Using GDB: A Guide to the GNU
	Source-Level Debugger, by Richard M. Stallman and Roland
	H. Pesch.  The same text is available online as the "gdb"
	entry in the "info" program.

OPTIONS
	Any arguments other than options specify an executable file
	and core file (or process ID); that is, the first argument
	encountered with no associated option flag is equivalent to
	a -se option, and the second, if any, is equivalent to a -c
	option if it's the name of a file.  Many options have both
	long and short forms; both are shown here.  The long forms
	are also recognized if you truncate them, so long as enough
	of the option is present to be unambiguous.  (If you prefer,
	you can flag option arguments with + rather than -, though
	we illustrate the more usual convention.)

	All the options and command line arguments you give are
	processed in sequential order.  The order makes a difference
	when the -x option is used.

	-help
	-h  List all options, with brief explanations.

	-symbols=file
	-s file
	    Read symbol table from file file.

	-write
	    Enable writing into executable and core files.

	-exec=file
	-e file
	    Use file file as the executable file to execute when
	    appropriate, and for examining pure data in conjunction
	    with a core dump.

	-se=file
	    Read symbol table from file file and use it as the
	    executable file.

	-core=file
	-c file
	    Use file file as a core dump to examine.

	-command=file
	-x file
	    Execute GDB commands from file file.

	-ex command
	    Execute given GDB command.

	-directory=directory
	-d directory
	    Add directory to the path to search for source files.

	-nh Do not execute commands from ~/.gdbinit.

	-nx
	-n  Do not execute commands from any .gdbinit initialization
	    files.

	-quiet
	-q  "Quiet".  Do not print the introductory and copyright
	    messages.  These messages are also suppressed in batch
	    mode.

	-batch
	    Run in batch mode.  Exit with status 0 after processing
	    all the command files specified with -x (and .gdbinit,
	    if not inhibited).  Exit with nonzero status if an error
	    occurs in executing the GDB commands in the command
	    files.

	    Batch mode may be useful for running GDB as a filter,
	    for example to download and run a program on another
	    computer; in order to make this more useful, the message

			  Program exited normally.

	    (which is ordinarily issued whenever a program running
	    under GDB control terminates) is not issued when running
	    in batch mode.

	-cd=directory
	    Run GDB using directory as its working directory,
	    instead of the current directory.

	-fullname
	-f  Emacs sets this option when it runs GDB as a subprocess.
	    It tells GDB to output the full file name and line
	    number in a standard, recognizable fashion each time a
	    stack frame is displayed (which includes each time the
	    program stops).  This recognizable format looks like two
	    \032 characters, followed by the file name, line number
	    and character position separated by colons, and a
	    newline.  The Emacs-to-GDB interface program uses the
	    two \032 characters as a signal to display the source
	    code for the frame.

	-b bps
	    Set the line speed (baud rate or bits per second) of any
	    serial interface used by GDB for remote debugging.

	-tty=device
	    Run using device for your program's standard input and
	    output.

SEE ALSO
	The full documentation for GDB is maintained as a Texinfo
	manual.  If the "info" and "gdb" programs and GDB's Texinfo
	documentation are properly installed at your site, the
	command

		   info gdb

	should give you access to the complete manual.

	Using GDB: A Guide to the GNU Source-Level Debugger, Richard
	M. Stallman and Roland H. Pesch, July 1991.

COPYRIGHT
	Copyright (c) 1988-2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

	Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this
	document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation
	License, Version 1.3 or any later version published by the
	Free Software Foundation; with the Invariant Sections being
	"Free Software" and "Free Software Needs Free
	Documentation", with the Front-Cover Texts being "A GNU
	Manual," and with the Back-Cover Texts as in (a) below.

	(a) The FSF's Back-Cover Text is: "You are free to copy and
	modify this GNU Manual.  Buying copies from GNU Press
	supports the FSF in developing GNU and promoting software
	freedom."