Subject: [bug#43654] [PATCH] Add perl-opengl

From: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2020 20:29:17 +0200

Hello,

On Fri, Oct 02, 2020 at 12:13:43AM -0400, Kei Kebreau wrote:
> > @@ -0,0 +1,5 @@
> > +GLUT=20801
> > +VERSION=3.0 Mesa 10.2.6
> > +VENDOR=Intel Open Source Technology Center
> > +RENDERER=Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Mobile
> I suppose the purpose of this glversion.txt is to avoid reproducibility
> issues?  I see it was added as a "pretty ugly hack" in the nixpkgs
> repository [1].  (Interestingly enough, this text file doesn't seem to
> cause me any issues, even though my computer doesn't support OpenGL 3.0,
> so I guess it's fine.)

I also tried to package perl-opengl (as a prerequisite for slic3r); the
problem is that during the configure phase it wants to do this:

In order to test your GPU's capabilities, run this make under an X11 shell
freeglut (./glversion): failed to open display ''
make: *** [Makefile:24: glversion.txt] Error 1

to create the file, which will presumably depend on the GPU in the build
machine, a no-go. Nix works around this by providing a fixed file. I did not
investigate whether this will work everywhere; it clearly leaks information
on the machine where it was created. In my case, for instance, I got "Skylake"
instead of "Ivybridge". It all feels a bit brittle; for instance, we have
[email-masked] and @3.2.1 in Guix; I suppose "GLUT=20801" refers to @2.8.1.
Will it work with a newer version? Our mesa is @20.0.8 and not 10.2.6.

But I also do not know if there is a better solution.

Andreas

PS: I spotted a frowned-upon "cdr" in the package ;-)