Subject: [bug#43637] [PATCH] gnu: packages: Add grokmirror.

From: Kyle Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2020 17:14:52 -0400

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Hi,
>
> Kyle Meyer <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> * gnu/packages/version-control.scm (grokmirror): New variable.
>
> Applied, thanks!

Thanks for reviewing/applying!

>> A recent message on bug-guix [1] mentioned cloning the archives at
>> <https://yhetil.org>.  public-inbox archives, including those at
>> yhetil.org, publish a grokmirror-compatible manifest.  So, if you're
>> interested in mirroring the Guix-related archives at yhetil.org for any
>> reason [2], you can use grokmirror to do so in a way that's nicer than
>> periodically hitting yhetil.org with a git-fetch call for each
>> Guix-related inbox.
>
> So yhetil.org stores mailing list archives as a Git repo?
>
> Sounds interesting.

Yep, messages are stored in a Git repo or, for archives greater than
around one gigabyte, a collection of repos [*].  (A freshly gc'd
guix-devel weighs in at ~140M.)

  [*] documentation on public-inbox's v2 format:
      https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox-v2-format.html