Subject: bug#43636: 28.0.50; About Emacs, shall be descriptive and point to Info file

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2020 22:39:48 +0200

I do not agree that the menu option under Help -> About Emacs is
giving meaningful information to user:

This is GNU Emacs, one component of the GNU/Linux operating system.

GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 15, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.14.8, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2020-09-24
Copyright (C) 2020 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

To follow a link, click Mouse-1 on it, or move to it and type RET.

Authors		Many people have contributed code included in GNU Emacs
Contributing	How to report bugs and contribute improvements to Emacs

GNU and Freedom		Why we developed GNU Emacs and the GNU system
Absence of Warranty	GNU Emacs comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Copying Conditions	Conditions for redistributing and changing Emacs
Getting New Versions	How to get the latest version of GNU Emacs
More Manuals / Ordering Manuals	Buying printed manuals from the FSF

One basic example is that the page does not tell to user that Emacs is
editor. So the "About Emacs" is not straight to the point to tell what
Emacs is.

For example if I open Gnumeric -> Help -> Info I can see it is
spreadsheet, as it is written, so it is with many applications. With
Emacs, it is not even written that it is text editor.

This statement may appeal strange to developer, please assume
viewpoint of a beginning user or just somebody who finds application
on a screen in computer club or Internet point, and wish to find about
it. It should not be realization after reading many pages, it should
be written that it is for text editing.