Subject: bug#4363: 23.1.50; fullscreen (-mode) almost fullscreen

From: Ulrich Neumerkel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 15:08:13 +0200

Jan Djaerv schrieb:
>Ulrich Neumerkel skrev:
>> Windowmanagers still put a titlebar on the fullscreen window.  This can
>> be avoided by setting the Motif nodecoration hint.  This works in Gnome,
>> KDE, and many windowmanagers.
>
>(set-frame-parameter () 'fullscreen nil)
>
>Note that fullscreen is all done by the window manager.  Emacs tells the 
>window manager to put the window in fullscreen and the window manager does all 
>the rest.

Thank you for the hint! I should M-x info, not merely view-emacs-news.

With fullboth there are no titles under Gnome, fine!  The no mouse's
land between left screen side and scrollbar is still there which is
irritating for mouse positioning.  It is exactly as wide as the
internal border.  With (set-frame-parameter () 'internal-border-width 0)
this can be removed.  Ideally, would be part of fullboth, such that
(set-frame-parameter () 'fullscreen nil) restores the original state.

Also, the remaining white vertical line on the left side of the screen
could be removed in fullscreen.  For smaller width of the scrollbar
that line looks quite "noisy" and irritates because it suggests that
exact positioning is necessary.

I tried various resolutions, screens and looked at differences in
scroll-bar-width.  For some, there opens up a space between (left)
scrollbar and fringe - sometimes this is on the right side
(perferable): (set-frame-parameter () 'scroll-bar-width 11)

http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/ulrich/emacs/pt.png

Ideally, the left side (that's where one is looking at most of the
time) looks always the same regardless of screen width.  Having some
internal border on the right side for padding is less irritating.  (I
would prefer here to take some pixels off the fringe, all else equal.)

Another point is the echo area: The space below the echo area is
currently used for padding in fullscreen.  This looks irritating
because it suggests that some over long line is present and makes me
search the entire area, could be lot's of spaces... Like C-x C-e on
"\n" Maybe padding is better put to the top or both.

For the qvwm windowmanager (preinstalled on IGEL X-terminals) neither
maximized nor fullboth works.  Yet, other programs are still able to
go fullscreen under qvwm (like acroread).  What I do there so far with
Emacs is to set this Motif nodecoration hint.  That removes the
decoration.  The rest manually with geometries.

I manually added that ad-hoc for some time - since about 20.7. Here is one
http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/ulrich/emacs-21.2.50.1-motifhint.tgz

>> Within Gnome, switching with Alt-TAB between windows causes irritating
>> flicker with an Emacs fullscreen present.
>
>Irritating flicker in Emacs or the other windows?  If the other windows, there 
>is nothing we can do.

After some experiments with other fullscreen programs: It's very
probably compiz.real (part of Gnome) - if that is killed, things work
as expected.  (During Alt-Tab the fullscreen program tries to regain
the screen)

Things have really improved a lot!  Why not put a fullscreen-mode on
f11?

The settings during http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/ulrich/emacs/pt.png

In GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit)
 of 2009-09-06 on gupu2
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10603000
configured using `configure  '--without-toolkit-scroll-bars' '--prefix' '/opt/gupu/emacs-git''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Message

Minor modes in effect:
  mml-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t
  overwrite-mode: overwrite-mode-textual

Recent input:
a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a 
a a a a a a a a a a a <return> C-x o C-x b . e m <tab> 
<return> C-x o C-x C-g <down> C-x <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <down> <left> <left> <left> 
<right> <backspace> 7 C-e C-x C-e <left> <left> <right> 
<right> C-x C-s C-x C-e <left> <left> <right> <backspace> 
8 C-e C-x C-e C-x C-s <left> <backspace> 9 C-x C-s 
C-e C-x C-e <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> C-a 
C-e <left> <backspace> 1 0 C-e C-x C-e <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> 
<drag-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <drag-mouse-1> 
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> C-g C-x C-g C-g C-x o ) <left> <backspace> 
1 C-e C-x C-e <left> <left> <left> <left> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <left> <left> <right> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <drag-mouse-1> 
C-x C-s <left> <backspace> 2 C-e C-x C-e <left> <backspace> 
3 C-e C-x C-e <left> <backspace> 4 C-e C-x C-e <left> 
<left> <left> <left> C-e <left> <left> <right> <backspace> 
5 C-e C-x C-e <down-mouse-4> <mouse-4> <help-echo> 
<left> <backspace> 1 C-e C-x C-e M-! x w <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <down> s SPC <backspace> <backspace> 
d C-g M-x m a n <return> x w d <return> M-! x w s SPC 
- r o o t SPC - o u t SPC p t . b u g <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> w <backspace> x w d <return> M-! <up> <right> 
<right> <right> <backspace> d <return> M-x r e p <tab> 
o <tab> r <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Auto-saving...
nil [3 times]
goto-history-element: Beginning of history; no preceding item [4 times]
Quit
Invoking man xwd in the background
Please wait: formatting the xwd man page...
xwd man page formatted
/bin/bash: xws: command not found
(Shell command succeeded with no output)
Making completion list... [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
None found.