Subject: Re: bug#4362: 23.1: proced -- Mode help lists 'd' as mark command (prefer 'm')

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 01:13:30 -0400

> Using the `:advertised-binding' property just implemented by Stefan is
> a nice solution.  But other changes in `where-is-internal' broke preferred
> key bindings in docstrings.  For example, compare the old and new
> output of `C-h f Info-mode RET':

> - h	Invoke the Info tutorial.
> + M-x Info-help	Invoke the Info tutorial.

I just fixed this one.  It was a plain bug.

> - u	Move "up" from this node.
> + ^	Move "up" from this node.

> - t	Go to the Top node of this file.
> + <	Go to the Top node of this file.

> - b	Go to beginning of node.
> + .	Go to beginning of node.

> - w	Put name of current Info node in the kill ring.
> + c	Put name of current Info node in the kill ring.

These are trickier.  I still haven't figured out why the preference
order has changed.  Admittedly, this order was arbitrary (doesn't even
depend on the order of calls to define-key since these bindings are
stored in the vector part of a dense map) and is also arbitrary in the
new code, but it would be better to preserve the old order.

> Should we put `:advertised-binding' for all old preferred key bindings
> explicitly?

Arguably, it would be good, yes.  But first, I'll try to adjust the code
to get back the original behavior.  Thanks for bringing it up.

        Stefan