Subject: Re: [bug#43591] [PATCH core-updates] gnu: glibc-final: Catch all cases of a glibc user not requesting 64-bit offsets and then using readdir.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 22:52:10 +0200

Hi,

Marius Bakke <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Arguably running code for foreign architectures through QEMU binfmt is
> something of a hack.  Mandating that every package *must* be patched to
> support it seems user-hostile.  I'm more in favor of dropping it on the
> build farm, or just keep fixing things on a per-package basis.

I’m fine with dropping things on the build farm; it’s just about
modifying machines-for-berlin.scm in maintenance.git.  Any takers?  :-)

> A less user-hostile solution could perhaps be to (setenv "CFLAGS"
> "-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64") on 32-bit architectures in gnu-build-system.
> Not sure whether that could cause any adverse effects.  But again, I
> don't like the idea of optimizing for QEMUs user-mode emulation.

The above would override the default CFLAGS in Autoconf-generated
configure scripts (which is “-O2 -g”).  So we’d have to be cautious.
But I think a global solution is preferable to adding
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 to tens of packages.

WDYT?

Ludo’.