Subject: Order in manifest and command-line differs

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 01:38:46 +0200

Dear,

It is probably more a feature than a bug (and it is expected, I guess).
However, it can be misleading.  For example,

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ guix package -i busybox diffutils -p /tmp/foo
$ ls -l /tmp/foo/bin
[..]
 df -> /gnu/store/…-busybox-1.31.1/bin/df
 diff -> /gnu/store/…-diffutils-3.7/bin/diff
 diff3 -> /gnu/store/…-diffutils-3.7/bin/diff3
 dirname -> /gnu/store/…-busybox-1.31.1/bin/dirname
[..]
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

And the same result is obtained with the manifest.scm file:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(specifications->manifest '("diffutils" "busybox"))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

This difference could be counter-intuitive.  One of the two lists should
be internally reverse’d.  WDYT?

(Even if it is a corner-case, 2 packages providing the same tool, but it
matters for <profile>/manifest.)

All the best,
simon