Subject: bug#43558: [PATCH]: Fix (forward-comment 1) when end delimiter is escaped.

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2020 17:08:30 +0000

Hello, Stefan.

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 10:20:32 -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > Because syntax-table text properties are already used for so many
> > different things in CC Mode (I think the count is five in C++ Mode).
> > Adding another one would mean having to scan for this rare construct at
> > every buffer change, and this would slow things down, possibly a lot.

> The fact that you already have 5 other such uses implies that the slow
> down from this one cannot possibly be larger than 20% (since the scan
> for it is very simple, I doubt any of the other 5 is simpler).

The fact remains that an implementation at the C level is objectively
better than one at the Lisp level.

> Most major modes have such things and we live just fine with them.
> This is a non-issue.

Really?  Are there any other programming language modes whose comments
syntax.c cannot handle without syntax-table text properties?

>         Stefan

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).