Subject: bug#43558: [PATCH]: Fix (forward-comment 1) when end delimiter is escaped.

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 12:56:42 -0400

> As already said, this is a(n ugly) workaround.  syntax.c should handle
> comments in all their generality.  With a bit of consideration, the
> method to do this is clear:

In my world, it's quite normal for a specific language's lexical rules
not to line up 100% with syntax tables (whether for strings, comments,
younameit).  I don't see anything very special here.

A `syntax-propertize` rule for "\*/" should be very easy to implement
and fairly cheap since the regexp is simple and will almost never match.

So, yeah, you can add yet-another-hack on top of the other syntax.c
hacks if you want, but there's a good chance it will only ever be used
by CC-mode.  It will take a lot more code changes in syntax.c than
a quick tweak to your Elisp code to search for "\*/".

I do think it would be good to handle this without `syntax-table`
text-property hacks, but I think that should come with an overhaul of
syntax.c based on a major-mode provided DFA (or something like that) so
it can accommodate all the various oddball cases without even the need
to introduce the notion of escaping comment markers.

        Stefan