Subject: bug#43558: [PATCH]: Fix (forward-comment 1) when end delimiter is escaped.

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2020 19:44:41 +0000

Hello, Stefan.

On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 14:44:54 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > It seems that as well as the existing variable
> > comment-end-can-be-escaped, we need a new one, say
> > line-comment-end-can-be-escaped, too.

> syntax.c doesn't like to think of it as "line-comment" but rather as
> comment stay [ ?? style ?? ] a, b, c, or nested and non-nested.

Hmm.  It could be quite troublesome to decide on an interface for major
modes specifying "comment style b can have its ender escaped, but
comment styles a and c cannot".

> > In C and C++ modes, these would
> > be nil and t respectively.

> I sm-c-mode, I'd handle those corner cases in
> `syntax-propertize-function` (tho I think I don't bother with this one
> currently).

> So, I guess in CC-mode, you could handle those by placing `syntax-table`
> properties from ... wherever you place them ;-)

Thanks, that's an idea - either putting a neutral s-t prop on the \ of
\*/, or something on the \n of \\n in a line comment.  I think the first
of these is a better idea than the second.

But on the other hand, it feels like a workaround for the lack of a
full-featured comment-end-can-be-escaped.

>         Stefan

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).