Subject: bug#43558: [PATCH]: Fix (forward-comment 1) when end delimiter is escaped.

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 14:51:18 +0000

Hello, Lars.

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 12:38:01 +0200, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

> > I do want to clarify my position, tho: while I don't like your patch
> > very much because I think a Lisp-level solution (like the one I used in
> > sm-c-mode) is preferable I find your patch acceptable.

> This was the patch that adds the "e" syntax modifier?  Apparently this
> thread stalled here, and as far as I can see, the patch was never applied?

That is correct, yes.  The patch was working and ready, but I took
Stefan's criticisms on board, and I think he was right.  It was a fairly
large change to syntax.c with a minor gain.  Also, it would have meant
having two alternative comment mechanisms in CC Mode for a few releases.
So I think on balance, it would be better to regard the patch as an
experiment only, which should go no further.

I think the bug should stay open, though.  CC Mode still doesn't handle
multi-line comments absolutely correctly, and these could surely be
fixed, like Stefan said, by using syntax-table text properties somehow.

I also created a plethora of syntax test cases for the patch, some of
which are applicable to syntax.c as is.  I'll get around to sorting
these out and committing them sometime.

> -- 
> (domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
>    bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).