Subject: bug#43557: 28.0.50; Please document which objects are mutable and which are not

From: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 10:29:22 +0200

The "Mutability" section in the ELisp manual mentions that there are
mutable and immutable objects, but (besides giving a few examples)
doesn't document which objects are actually mutable.  At the very least,
there should be a list of functions that are guaranteed to return
mutable objects, and a statement about the mutability of function return
values in general.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 106, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.20, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2020-09-22
Repository revision: 797ff44d53ef4c4b800de8467b403c876cac3c1f
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12008000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux rodete

Configured using:
 'configure --enable-gcc-warnings=warn-only
 --enable-gtk-deprecation-warnings --without-pop --with-mailutils
 --enable-checking=all --enable-check-lisp-object-type --with-modules
 'CFLAGS=-O1 -ggdb3 -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fsanitize=address
 -fsanitize=undefined -fsanitize=pointer-compare
 -fsanitize=pointer-subtract''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG CAIRO SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY INOTIFY
LIBSELINUX GNUTLS FREETYPE HARFBUZZ ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11
XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD JSON PDUMPER

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc dired dired-loaddefs rfc822
mml easymenu mml-sec epa epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils phst skeleton derived edmacro
kmacro pcase ffap thingatpt url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json map url-vars mailcap rx gnutls puny dbus xml subr-x
seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv compile comint ansi-color
ring cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame
minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces
cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 69082 7098)
 (symbols 48 8666 1)
 (strings 32 23937 1390)
 (string-bytes 1 771102)
 (vectors 16 13762)
 (vector-slots 8 188421 5360)
 (floats 8 26 30)
 (intervals 56 219 0)
 (buffers 992 11))

-- 
Google Germany GmbH
Erika-Mann-Straße 33
80636 München

Geschäftsführer: Paul Manicle, Halimah DeLaine Prado
Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg

Diese E-Mail ist vertraulich.  Falls Sie diese fälschlicherweise erhalten haben
sollten, leiten Sie diese bitte nicht an jemand anderes weiter, löschen Sie
alle Kopien und Anhänge davon und lassen Sie mich bitte wissen, dass die E-Mail
an die falsche Person gesendet wurde.

This e-mail is confidential.  If you received this communication by mistake,
please don’t forward it to anyone else, please erase all copies and
attachments, and please let me know that it has gone to the wrong person.