Subject: bug#43532: [feature/native-comp] *.eln file name hashing algorithm doesn't seem to play nice with NATIVE_FULL_AOT and self-contained Emacs.app builds for macOS

From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 07:53:41 +0000

Jim Myhrberg <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> TL;DR:
>
> If I've understood correctly, the filename of the cached *.eln files
> includes a hash based on the absolute file path and content of the
> source *.el/*.el.gz file. On macOS when producing a self-contained
> Emacs.app bundle this means that the cached *.eln files bundled into
> the app cannot be used, as their absolute path won't match what they
> were during build time. And app bundles on macOS can be placed and
> launched from anywhere on disk.

Hi Jim,

I think we should be able to improve the filename hashing mechanism on
MacOS to deal with that.  Perhaps something like removing
*/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/ from the input of it.

Could you post the value of PATH_DUMPLOADSEARCH and PATH_LOADSEARCH
macros?  You should find them defined in epaths.h in your build
directory.

Thanks

  Andrea