Subject: Re: bug#43532: [feature/native-comp] *.eln file name hashing algorithm doesn't seem to play nice with NATIVE_FULL_AOT and self-contained Emacs.app builds for macOS

From: Jim Myhrberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 22:17:00 +0100

Hi Andrea,

I've just tested that branch, and I'm afraid it doesn't work. It
starts native compiling cconv.el and others like before. Looking at
the changes, I believe it's looking for "Emacs.app" within
PATH_DUMPLOADSEARCH, which didn't actually contain that in my build
directory, it was PATH_LOADSEARCH that did. So currently that branch
doesn't find the bundled *.eln files even when the app is named
"Emacs.app".

And annoyingly we also need to support it if the user renames the app
to something else, like "Emacs 28.app", or "Emacs Native.app", or even
something crazy like "fooBar! LaLa.app".

My knowledge of C is mostly non-existent, but in an effort to reduce
the feedback loop and not take up too much of your time, I'll try some
guess-based tweaks and see if I have any success :)

Thanks again :)

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 8:38 PM Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Hi Jim,
>
> could you check what I've pushed to scratch/native-comp-macos-43532
> works for you?
>
> I've done what I could to test it but is not much as I'm not on MacOS.
>
> Thanks
>
>   Andrea