Subject: bug#43532: [feature/native-comp] *.eln file name hashing, algorithm doesn't seem to play nice with NATIVE_FULL_AOT and self-contained, Emacs.app builds for macOS

From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2020 10:54:45 +0000

Andrew Whatson <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Andrea,
>
> I added some debug messages to the loading procedure and determined
> that the files were ignored because the timestamp check required the
> eln to be newer than the source file.  This makes sense when running
> from the build directory or when the eln's are built with deferred
> compilation, but doesn't work for packaging where they're usually
> installed with the same timestamp.
>
> Though the fix is trivial, I wonder whether a timestamp check is
> needed at all.  If we're already hashing the contents of the source
> file, perhaps that's sufficient to detect when things are outdated?

Hi Andrew,

thanks for investigating!

yes you are correct, the system is over-constrained and I believe too
the timestamp is not anymore necessary now that we hash the file content
to verify the .el -> .eln relation.

I've pushed the following.

03dfa83dc3 * Do not check eln timestamp as superseded by source hashing (bug#43532)

Let us know if the issue is solved.

Thanks!

  Andrea