Subject: bug#43530: wget: command not found

From: Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 09:06:42 +0300

On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 06:40:12PM -0400, Leo Famulari wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 07:06:12AM -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> > This is not a bug. I think it's more a feature request.
> > 
> >     $ patchelf.sh: line 86: wget: command not found
> > 
> > Lack of wget is a bit unusual for a Linux distro. Usually an image has
> > either wget or curl installed. On Linux wget is usually installed; and
> > on OS X curl is usually installed.
> > 
> > Guix might consider adding Wget to its standard image.
> 
> Perhaps!
> 
> Guix does include the `guix download` command, which serves as a simple
> HTTP downloader.

I will add that you can do 'guix package -i wget curl' to add those two
packages in the installer environment. I will be the first to admit that
I don't always remember to do that and have instead asked for help using
netcat or telnet to send text to pastebin sites.

How much space would it add to add one or both of these? curl has more
dependencies than wget, but we could always toss in busybox if we really
felt pressed for space.

-- 
Efraim Flashner   <[email-masked]>   אפרים פלשנר
GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D  14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351
Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted