Subject: bug#43519: 28.0.50; Overlay at end of minibuf hides minibuf's real content

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 19:37:37 +0000

[I send this mail again, apparently it was not delivered.  I apologize if 
you receive it twice.]

>> Which is why my proposal is to not break anything, but only to give 
>> applications the control of how what they insert in the minibuffer is 
>> displayed.  A start_display_at_beginning_of_minibuffer variable that 
>> would be reset in read_minibuf() and that an application could set in 
>> minibuffer-setup-hook.  I don't understand why you would be opposed to 
>> such a change.
>
> Because it changes a long-standing behavior with inserting normal text 
> into the minibuffer.
>

I does not change anything.  Unless the user (in this case, the developer 
of completion applications such as icomplete or ido or ...) chooses to use 
that new possibility.

>
> This is not the user, this is a Lisp program that will do it.  The 
> behavior will change in that the user will be shown only the first part 
> of the text, as opposed to the last part we were showing until now.
>

The behavior will not change unless the developer (who presumably knows 
what they are doing) requests it to change.

>
> Maybe such a change in behavior is desirable (I'm not sure, and I don't 
> yet have a clear idea how will Lisp programs decide which behavior to 
> request), but it's a separate issue.
>

Okay, so shall I file another bug just to have this same discussion again?