Subject: Re: bug#43519: 28.0.50; Overlay at end of minibuf hides minibuf's real content

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 19:49:15 +0300

> Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 16:17:04 +0000
> From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
> cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> 1. emacs -Q
> 2. create a long directory name (in your home directory, say)
> 3. C-x C-f, and enter the name of that directory, but do not press RET
> 4. narrow the Emacs frame until you see the cursor blinking in the right fringe
> 5. M-: (setq max-mini-window-height 1)
> 6. M-x icomplete-mode
> 7. C-x C-f, and enter the name of the long directory again

Thanks.

Are you saying that the behavior before the change was better than the
behavior after it?  Before the change you saw some part of the
directory name (not necessarily all of it, depending on how long the
directory name was), and none of the prompt.  After the change you see
the prompt followed by some part of the directory name (the part shown
is, of course, smaller than in the previous behavior).

I think the behavior after the change is better: it shows the prompt,
as was required, and it matches the behavior you wanted, which was to
start the display in the mini-window from BOB.

So I don't understand what problems do you see in the new behavior
that weren't present in the old behavior.

Displaying long stuff in a mini-window that is forced to be small will
always present some problems, no matter what we do.  The best solution
is to fit the stuff to be displayed to the dimensions of the
mini-window, but that is something only a Lisp program which triggers
the display can do, the display engine cannot.