Subject: bug#43503: Patch: Improvements regarding commands like find-file-other-tab.

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2020 16:34:34 +0200

[email-masked] writes:

> 1. Document existing command `ffap-other-tab'.
> 2. Create `find-file-read-only-other-tab' and `ffap-read-only-other-tab'.
> 3. Bind "\C-r" to `find-file-read-only-other-tab', like how "\C-f" is
>     bound to `find-file-other-tab'.
> 4. Document `ffap-read-only-other-tab' in misc.texi.
>
> I don't really know the Texinfo format, so I just copied the mark-up used for 
> other items.

Look OK to me.

> +(defun find-file-read-only-other-tab (filename &optional wildcards)
> +  "Edit file FILENAME, in another tab, but don't allow changes.
> +Like \\[find-file-other-frame] (which see), but creates a new tab.
> +
> +Like C-x t C-f, but marks buffer as read-only.
> +Use C-x C-q to permit editing."

This should probably refer to the functions, not the keystrokes?

But anyway -- I'm not really sure I understand the use case here -- is
opening files in read-only mode a thing that people do a lot?  I mean,
we have `C-x C-r', so adding tab-opening versions of that would be
logical, but...

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no