Subject: bug#44823: closed (Re: bug#43481: 27.1; cc-mode's c-context-line-break fails, inserting a new-line into the previous comment)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 11:44:03 +0000

Your bug report

#43481: 27.1.50; c-context-line-break misbehaves at end of comment

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
43481: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=43481
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#43481: 27.1; cc-mode's c-context-line-break fails, inserting a new-line into the previous comment
From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
To: Campbell Barton <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 11:43:14 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello, Campbell.

On Thu, Nov 26, 2020 at 15:58:20 +1100, Campbell Barton wrote:
> Hi Alan, thanks for fixing this,

> Tested this both with `emacs -Q` and my personal (evil) config.

> When your fix is applied, in both cases this works as expected.

Thanks indeed for testing this.  I have committed the fix to the
emacs-27 branch at savannah, and am closing the bug with this post.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie.

Subject: 27.1.50; c-context-line-break misbehaves at end of comment
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 19:33:35 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

To reproduce:

  emacs -Q
  C-x C-f src/xdisp.c
  C-u 19 M-g g
  C-e

This should bring you to the end of this line in xdisp.c:

  along with GNU Emacs.  If not, see <https://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.  */

It is the end of a comment.  Now do this:

  M-: (local-set-key "\C-m" 'c-context-line-break) RET

Then press RET.  I expect Emacs to open a new line, indent it
according to the context, and put point after the indentation.
Instead, the new line is inserted _before_ the point's line, and point
stays at the end of the comment as it was before.

This is a regression wrt Emacs 26.

I had this customization of RET in CC mode since about forever, and it
always worked like I expected.  Until Emacs 27.1.

Can this be fixed for Emacs 27.2, please?

In GNU Emacs 27.1.50 (build 107, i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2020-11-23 built on HOME-C4E4A596F7
Repository revision: 2b1cec559202d5985b7431ffce943bf4b019fb95
Repository branch: emacs-27
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
System Description: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (v5.1.0.2600)

Recent messages:
Undo [3 times]
RET (translated from <return>) runs the command newline [2 times]
Making completion list...
c-context-line-break
RET (translated from <return>) runs the command c-context-line-break
Undo
user-error: You didn’t specify a function symbol
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window, C-M-v to scroll help.
 [2 times]
GNU Emacs 27.1.50 (build 107, i686-pc-mingw32) of 2020-11-23

Configured using:
 'configure -C --prefix=/d/usr --with-wide-int --with-modules
 --enable-checking=yes,glyphs 'CFLAGS=-O0 -gdwarf-4 -g3''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY W32NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2
HARFBUZZ ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1255

Major mode: Help

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cl-print
time-date subr-x cl-extra seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv
thingatpt help-fns radix-tree help-mode vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode
bug-reference cc-mode cc-fonts easymenu cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip
eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame
minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 83507 9659)
 (symbols 48 10409 1)
 (strings 16 28014 2352)
 (string-bytes 1 925109)
 (vectors 16 14367)
 (vector-slots 8 178621 7676)
 (floats 8 39 54)
 (intervals 40 3254 13)
 (buffers 888 14))