Subject: bug#4295: closed (Re: bug#43480: 27.1; Default font size not saving on Mac)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 12:44:03 +0000

Your bug report

#43480: 23.1; saving default font

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
43480: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=43480
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#43480: 27.1; Default font size not saving on Mac
From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
To: Germain Le Chapelain <[email-masked]>
Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 13:43:24 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 09:38:31AM -0700, Germain Le Chapelain wrote:
> 
> > It's actually down to the way the font picker on macOS is implemented,
> > I believe. I've tried in the past to work out how to make it match the
> > other terms, but have had no luck.
> > 
> > Although a quick search shows David Reitter provided some code before:
> > 
> >    https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2009-04/msg00704.html
> > 
> > I've no idea if that works.
> 
> Yes it does!
> 
> I am saved!  Ty kindly all!

Although I'm not 100% sure what that code is doing (Customize is
completely foreign to me) I've pushed the code to master under David's
name:

c5c29a9f0f60321304125a1f3b991ce724d868cc
Author:     David Reitter <[email-masked]>
AuthorDate: Tue Sep 22 13:38:16 2020 +0100
Fix font-panel on NS (bug#43480)

So I'm closing this bug (and I guess the millions of merged bugs we've
accrued over the years).
-- 
Alan Third

Subject: 23.1; saving default font
From: Jim Mahoney <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 00:41:05 -0400

I'm running on Mac OS X, v 10.5.8.
I'm a longtime user of XEmacs,
and am trying this recent Emacs release.

I was impressed that the menu Options >> Set Default Font...
brought up the standard Apple font dialog, and that I was
able to set a default font for the current window,
namely Anonymous Pro 18.

However, there doesn't seem to be any way to easily preserve
that choice over multiple Emacs launches.  Options >> Save Defaults
is the obvious choice, but it has no apparent effect - the next
Emacs launch reverts to the default font, and I see no
"Anonymous Pro" in ~/.emacs or anywhere else I could find.

Nor could I find anything in the customization
menus that would preserve this simple "default font/size" choice;
instead, the docs take me (as is the emacs/xemacs usual) through
the bewildering choices of X11,faces,etc,etc.  I mucked about for
a bit but could find nothing that would preserve this simple
default font font choice.

I'm looking for an programming editor to suggest to my students.
I really like emacs, but setting it up has often been problematic.

This version looks like it has good Mac OS integration,
but if even this first customization step failed,
my confidence isn't high.

With the apparent requirement of setting the font each time
the application launches, it isn't going to do me much good.

------------------------------------

In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-apple-darwin9.8.0, NS apple-appkit-949.54)
 of 2009-08-16 on black.local
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.949
configured using `configure  '--with-ns''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: nil
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Info

Minor modes in effect:
  highlight-changes-visible-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<options> <menu-set-font> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-2> <help-echo>
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-2> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar>
<options> <customize> <customize-saved> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <menu-bar> <options> <customize> <customize-changed-options>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <options> <customize>
<customize-face> <return> C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v
C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p <escape>
< C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-p C-a C-p C-p
u C-s d e f a u l t SPC f o n C-a C-p C-p u <help-echo>
<help-echo> <menu-bar> <options> <customize> <customize-browse>
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-2> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-2> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <wheel-down>
<double-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<wheel-up> <double-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-2> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <wheel-down> <double-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<down-mouse-1> <drag-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <help-echo>
<wheel-down> <wheel-down> <wheel-down> <double-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <wheel-down> <double-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-up>
<triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> <wheel-down> <double-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-2> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <help-echo>
<down-mouse-1> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-2> <wheel-down>
<double-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<wheel-up> <double-wheel-up> <wheel-up> <double-wheel-up>
<triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up>
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-s f o n t C-a C-n C-s C-s
C-n C-a C-p C-a <return> C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-n C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n <help-echo> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-2> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-2> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu>
<send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
Creating group state...
Creating group... done
Creating customization items ...done
Resetting customization items...done
Creating customization setup...done
Mark set [2 times]
Mark saved where search started [2 times]
customize-saved: No saved user options
mouse-select-font: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
byte-code: Beginning of buffer [5 times]