Subject: bug#43480: closed (Re: bug#43480: 27.1; Default font size not saving on Mac)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 12:44:02 +0000

Your bug report

#43480: 27.1; Default font size not saving on Mac

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
43480: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=43480
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#43480: 27.1; Default font size not saving on Mac
From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
To: Germain Le Chapelain <[email-masked]>
Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 13:43:24 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 09:38:31AM -0700, Germain Le Chapelain wrote:
> 
> > It's actually down to the way the font picker on macOS is implemented,
> > I believe. I've tried in the past to work out how to make it match the
> > other terms, but have had no luck.
> > 
> > Although a quick search shows David Reitter provided some code before:
> > 
> >    https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2009-04/msg00704.html
> > 
> > I've no idea if that works.
> 
> Yes it does!
> 
> I am saved!  Ty kindly all!

Although I'm not 100% sure what that code is doing (Customize is
completely foreign to me) I've pushed the code to master under David's
name:

c5c29a9f0f60321304125a1f3b991ce724d868cc
Author:     David Reitter <[email-masked]>
AuthorDate: Tue Sep 22 13:38:16 2020 +0100
Fix font-panel on NS (bug#43480)

So I'm closing this bug (and I guess the millions of merged bugs we've
accrued over the years).
-- 
Alan Third

Subject: 27.1; Default font size not saving on Mac
From: Germain Le Chapelain <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 16:02:30 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello!

So, the default font options don't save across session on MacOS.

What I did is:

o clicked `Option > Set Default Font...'
o Reduce the font size (from 12 to 11)
o Closed the window
o Clicked `Option > Save Options'

Quit Emacs
Restart Emacs

I was seeing size 12 font again (and would see 12 selected in going back
to Options > Set Default Font')

I would have expected to see the font at the same size as saved in the
previous session.

:(

In GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin18.7.0, NS appkit-1671.60 Version 10.14.6 (Build 18G95))
of 2020-08-11 built on builder10-14.porkrind.org
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1894
System Description:  Mac OS X 10.15.6

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
<vertical-scroll-bar> <drag-mouse-2> is undefined
Making completion list...
RET = select, <mouse-2> = select, d = to finder directory, q = quit, ? = help
<vertical-scroll-bar> <drag-mouse-2> is undefined
Mark set

Configured using:
'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules'

Configured features:
NOTIFY KQUEUE ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS MODULES
THREADS JSON PDUMPER

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Info

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util
rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils finder finder-inf
find-func lisp-mnt package browse-url url-handlers url-parse auth-source
cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map
url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv jka-compr info
easymenu time-date subr-x cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 86701 7095)
(symbols 48 8086 1)
(strings 32 25474 1961)
(string-bytes 1 765896)
(vectors 16 13920)
(vector-slots 8 169185 13404)
(floats 8 25 40)
(intervals 56 4593 0)
(buffers 1000 14))