Subject: bug#43479: Generated files ’doc/os-conf-*.texi’ and “make“

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2020 11:35:02 +0200

zimoun <[email-masked]> skribis:

>> The reason seems to be that:
>>
>> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>> # Bundle this file so that makeinfo finds it in out-of-source-tree builds.
>> BUILT_SOURCES        += $(OS_CONFIG_EXAMPLES_TEXI) $(TRANSLATED_INFO)
>> EXTRA_DIST           += $(OS_CONFIG_EXAMPLES_TEXI) $(TRANSLATED_INFO)
>> MAINTAINERCLEANFILES  = $(OS_CONFIG_EXAMPLES_TEXI) $(TRANSLATED_INFO)
>> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> Yah, I have tried to tweak a lot of stuff and it has always failed.
> Simon's relationship with configure and Makefile.am: is complicated.
> :-)
> Well, since these files are only a hard copy of files in
> gnu/system/examples/, does it make sense to simply symlink them and
> remove the rule?

You can try, but the comment above about out-of-source-tree builds
suggests it won’t work.  :-)

(That’s because .info is treated specially; namely, Info files are part
of the distribution, so they are always built in the source tree.)

Ludo’.