Subject: bug#43479: Generated files ’doc/os-conf-*.texi’ and “make“

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 22:18:51 +0200

On Fri, 18 Sep 2020 at 14:15, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > because the 3 .texi files have to be generated first; with another
> > rule.  It seems expected that ‘make info’ builds the manual.
>
> Yeah, it’s complicated; concretely, you have to run ‘make’.

Well, I am doing for such case: make RET C-c C-c C-c Because the files
are generated at the very beginning.

> > Furthermore, ‘make distclean’ does not remove these files.
>
> It’s on purpose: those files are part of the distribution (they’re in
> the tarball ‘make dist’ creates).

Hum?  Ok.

> The reason seems to be that:
>
> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> # Bundle this file so that makeinfo finds it in out-of-source-tree builds.
> BUILT_SOURCES        += $(OS_CONFIG_EXAMPLES_TEXI) $(TRANSLATED_INFO)
> EXTRA_DIST           += $(OS_CONFIG_EXAMPLES_TEXI) $(TRANSLATED_INFO)
> MAINTAINERCLEANFILES  = $(OS_CONFIG_EXAMPLES_TEXI) $(TRANSLATED_INFO)
> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Yah, I have tried to tweak a lot of stuff and it has always failed.
Simon's relationship with configure and Makefile.am: is complicated.
:-)
Well, since these files are only a hard copy of files in
gnu/system/examples/, does it make sense to simply symlink them and
remove the rule?

Cheers,
simon