Subject: Re: [bug#43477] Guix aliases?

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2020 10:03:22 +0200

Hi,

zimoun <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Fri, 25 Sep 2020 at 17:56, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> What I meant to say was that, if we have other use cases, we can write
>> new commands or extend existing ones to cater to those needs.  That’s
>> how ‘guix size’, etc. came to life.  “Listing nodes” is not a use case
>> per se, but rather an means to an end; let’s focus on the ends.  :-)
>>
>> (Also, let’s avoid Unix arguments; the primary composition level in Guix
>> is Scheme, not byte streams on stdout.)
>
> Well, I am not sure yet if I agree or disagree with you. :-)
> I understand the arguments and I will not have time to write a v2
> which includes your suggestion; I am interested in listing the nodes
> for some ends, not by visualizing the graph in a non-X environment.
> Therefore, feel free to close this patch submission.

OK so I’m closing for now, but let’s reopen an issue if you or someone
else thinks we really need a list-node feature or something along these
lines.

Thanks,
Ludo’.