Subject: Re: [bug#43477] [PATCH 0/1] guix: graph: Add 'plain' backend.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2020 11:32:11 +0200

Hi,

zimoun <[email-masked]> skribis:

> The point is I am often doing
>
>    guix graph -t <type> <pkg> | grep label | grep <stuff>
>
> then I select what I am interested in and reuse it with another Guix
> command (size or graph again or show or whatever).  And the regexp
> directly pick the package name is too complicated to remember, so yes
> I could have a script.
>
> For example, I would to know if all the packages in my profile are OK
> about CVE and already archived on SWH, with the proposed patch, it is
> simply:
>
>    guix package -I | cut -f1 \
>      | xargs -I{} ./pre-inst-env guix graph -b list-nodes {} \
>      | xargs -I{} guix lint -c cve,archival {}
>
> and obviously instead "-t bag" could be used.
>
> Well, another option as "--list-nodes" could be added.  WDTY?

I think we should really focus on individual use cases and see how to
best address them.  For example there’s
<https://issues.guix.gnu.org/31442> that we could revisit now that we
have provenance metadata and inferiors.  There’s also ‘guix size’, ‘guix
refresh -l’, and ‘guix graph --path’.

Perhaps we could have the backend you propose with the name ‘plain-flat’
(or similar), but I agree with Ricardo that it seems misplaced given
that it doesn’t show edges.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.