Subject: Re: [bug#43474] [PATCH] gnu: python-3.8: Update to 3.8.5.

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 14:59:29 -0400

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 01:25:48PM -0400, Greg Hogan wrote:
> From b3a64ef4a352bc12a5ca7b98caa2f775f04fa342 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: Greg Hogan <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 17:18:52 +0000
> Subject: [PATCH] gnu: python-3.8: Update to 3.8.5.
> 
> * gnu/packages/python.scm (python-3.8): Update to 3.8.5.

Thanks!

Python is a package with a large number of dependents:

$ guix refresh -l python@3
Building the following 4230 packages would ensure 10496 dependent packages are rebuilt:
[...]

Packages like this go on the core-updates branch, which is for "major
and potentially disruptive changes", including changes that will cause
more than 1200 rebuilds per CPU architecture [0].

So, I've pushed this patch to the core-updates branch as commit
8944f1a4a4bfe65ad83d4926fbdbeb3e11ec7728 [1] and it should be be made
available to Guix users at some point in the next few months.

[0] https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Submitting-Patches.html

[1] https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?h=core-updates&id=8944f1a4a4bfe65ad83d4926fbdbeb3e11ec7728