Subject: bug#43470: closed (Re: bug#43470: 27.1; Drag and Drop not working properly in 27.1 on OSX)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 19:12:02 +0000

Your bug report

#43470: 27.1; Drag and Drop not working properly in 27.1 on OSX

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
43470: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=43470
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#43470: 27.1; Drag and Drop not working properly in 27.1 on OSX
From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
To: Daniel MartÃ­n <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Paul Magwene, Ph.D." <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 20:11:06 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 08:34:30PM +0200, Daniel MartÃ?Â­n via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors wrote:
> Alan Third <[email-masked]> writes:
> >
> > This looks good to me. I think we'll want to apply it to Emacs 27
> > since this is a regression from Emacs 26 and the fix is minimal, so
> > can you please rebase against emacs-27 and I'll push it there.
> >
> > Thanks!
> 
> Here's the same patch applied on top of the emacs-27 branch. Thanks.

Thanks! I've pushed it to emacs-27 and it will be merged into master
in due course.

I'll close this bug report now and if anyone wants to modernise the
drag and drop code they can create a new one with the patch or
whatever.

-- 
Alan Third

Subject: 27.1; Drag and Drop not working properly in 27.1 on OSX
From: "Paul Magwene, Ph.D." <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 13:27:38 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

* Drag and drop events no longer appear to work properly in Emacs 27.1 on
Mac OS X.

* When I run Emacs from the command line I see the message: `Invalid data
type in dragging pasteboard` when trying to drag text or URLs from a webbrowser
(firefox or safari) into an Emacs buffer.

* I've tested this with two different builds of 27.1 -- from
https://emacsformacosx.com and the "emacs plus" formula under homebrew
(https://github.com/d12frosted/homebrew-emacs-plus) on both OS X 10.14.6
(Mavericks) and 10.15.6 (Catalina)

* Reverting to Emacs 26.3 resolves this issue

In GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin19.5.0, NS appkit-1894.50 Version 10.15.5 (Build 19F101))
of 2020-08-27 built on d12frosted.local
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1894
System Description:  Mac OS X 10.15.6

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Composing main Info directory...done
Beginning of buffer [18 times]
Mark saved where search started
Beginning of buffer [24 times]
Making completion list...
user-error: End of history; no default available

Configured using:
'configure --disable-dependency-tracking --disable-silent-rules
--enable-locallisppath=/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp
--infodir=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs-plus@27/27.1/share/info/emacs
--prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs-plus@27/27.1 --with-xml2 --with-gnutls
--without-dbus --with-imagemagick --with-modules --with-rsvg --with-ns
--disable-ns-self-contained'

Configured features:
RSVG IMAGEMAGICK GLIB NOTIFY KQUEUE ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils thingatpt jka-compr time-date
subr-x misearch multi-isearch info help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs cl-lib
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame
minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 77707 9630)
(symbols 48 6474 1)
(strings 32 20721 1816)
(string-bytes 1 627785)
(vectors 16 11181)
(vector-slots 8 157770 17782)
(floats 8 31 51)
(intervals 56 4895 0)
(buffers 1000 15))

Paul Magwene
Associate Professor
Department of Biology
Duke University