Subject: Re: bug#43465: obs icons

From: Carlo Zancanaro <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2020 10:35:45 +1000

On Thu, Sep 17 2020, Adam Kandur via Bug reports for GNU Guix 
wrote:
> when i install obs in my user profile and run it - it runs but 
> without any icons.

I can confirm this happens on my machine, too.

> but if i run it from obs env - it works with all fancy icons.

I didn't know this, though. I just tested on my machine and found 
that:

 - "guix environment --ad-hoc obs -- obs" does not have icons
 - "guix environment obs --ad-hoc obs -- obs" has icons

I don't have time to dig into why right now, but I'm curious as to 
what's going wrong. I assume it's to do with an environment 
variable of some sort. Here is the output of "env" on my machine 
in the two environments (removing DISPLAY, TERM, USER, HOME, and 
LOGNAME).

$ guix environment --pure obs --ad-hoc obs -- env
PATH=/gnu/store/79d2a2zqgyg0zgvkfw2hq6k4vj1qbf41-profile/bin:/gnu/store/79d2a2zqgyg0zgvkfw2hq6k4vj1qbf41-profile/sbin
CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/gnu/store/79d2a2zqgyg0zgvkfw2hq6k4vj1qbf41-profile/
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/gnu/store/79d2a2zqgyg0zgvkfw2hq6k4vj1qbf41-profile/lib/pkgconfig:/gnu/store/79d2a2zqgyg0zgvkfw2hq6k4vj1qbf41-profile/share/pkgconfig
QMAKEPATH=/gnu/store/79d2a2zqgyg0zgvkfw2hq6k4vj1qbf41-profile/lib/qt5
QT_PLUGIN_PATH=/gnu/store/79d2a2zqgyg0zgvkfw2hq6k4vj1qbf41-profile/lib/qt5/plugins
XDG_DATA_DIRS=/gnu/store/79d2a2zqgyg0zgvkfw2hq6k4vj1qbf41-profile/share
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/gnu/store/79d2a2zqgyg0zgvkfw2hq6k4vj1qbf41-profile/etc/xdg
C_INCLUDE_PATH=/gnu/store/79d2a2zqgyg0zgvkfw2hq6k4vj1qbf41-profile/include
CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH=/gnu/store/79d2a2zqgyg0zgvkfw2hq6k4vj1qbf41-profile/include/c++:/gnu/store/79d2a2zqgyg0zgvkfw2hq6k4vj1qbf41-profile/include
LIBRARY_PATH=/gnu/store/79d2a2zqgyg0zgvkfw2hq6k4vj1qbf41-profile/lib
GUIX_LOCPATH=/gnu/store/79d2a2zqgyg0zgvkfw2hq6k4vj1qbf41-profile/lib/locale
GUIX_ENVIRONMENT=/gnu/store/79d2a2zqgyg0zgvkfw2hq6k4vj1qbf41-profile

$ guix environment --pure --ad-hoc coreutils --ad-hoc obs -- env
PATH=/gnu/store/ylim73lin9v56d2dalk8q4a53r6ji53a-profile/bin
GUIX_ENVIRONMENT=/gnu/store/ylim73lin9v56d2dalk8q4a53r6ji53a-profile

Carlo