Subject: Re: bug#43463: 27.1; Elisp manual error, printed text in Interaction buffer

From: dalanicolai <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2020 18:24:48 +0200

Ah okay thanks, will use reply all then.
Yes indeed, I think adding only that would make it less confusing because
the word "execute" is somewhat ambiguous here. Then people get a hint and
can look it up (looking a bit more I think the C-j functionality is "not
really over-advertised"). Of course the part "execute example code" could
link to section 27.7 of the Elisp manual and/or in a "Lisp Interaction
buffer" could become a link to section 27.10. It might be a little
excessive, but the excessive documentation is one of the aspects that makes
Emacs my favorite editor. But otherwise just adding the few words would
make it much clearer for me already.
Thanks again for your great work!

On Sun, 20 Sep 2020 at 16:25, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> [Please use Reply All to reply, so that the discussion gets recorded
> by the bug tracker.]
>
> > From: dalanicolai <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2020 15:59:03 +0200
> >
> > I copy the example text into a *scratch* buffer, and evaluate it by
> placing the cursor behind the code and
> > press C-x C-e, the text is then printed in the echo-area.
> > However the following line from Section 1.3.4 suggests to me that it
> should get printed within the *scratch*
> > buffer itself:
> >
> > "If you execute example code in a Lisp Interaction buffer (such as the
> > buffer ‘*scratch*’), the printed text is inserted into the buffer."
>
> Would it be enough to say
>
>   "If you execute ... by typing C-j after the closing parentheses, the
>   printed text is inserted ..."
>
> IOW, how to "execute the code in the buffer" was not explained, and we
> need to explain it.  Right?
>