Subject: bug#4345: Manual suggestions for point and cursor

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 00:39:40 +0200

Gareth Rees <[email-masked]> writes:

> 1. In the Emacs manual, node "Point", it says "While the cursor
> appears to be _on_ a character, you should think of point as _between_
> two characters; it points _before_ the character that appears under
> the cursor."  The cursor only appears to be on a character if you have
> a block cursor configured. With a vertical bar cursor, the cursor
> appears to be between characters, and with a horizontal bar cursor,
> the cursor appears to be underneath a character. The manual might
> qualify the claim being made here.

Ok; fixed in Emacs 24.

> 2. Later in the "Point" node, it says, "On a graphical display, Emacs
> shows a cursor in each window; the selected window's cursor is solid
> and blinking, and the other cursors are hollow." The manual might note
> that this is the default for how the cursor is displayed and that the
> shape can be configured.

Ditto.

> 3. In the node "Cursor Display", it is mentioned that you can
> configure the shape of the cursor: "For a box cursor, this is a hollow
> box; for a bar cursor, this is a thinner bar." However, no explanation
> is given for how to do this. The manual might mention the cursor-type
> frame parameter, and link to the elisp manual node "Cursor
> Parameters".

I've now mentioned cursor-type here.

> 4. In the node "Table Recognition", the phrase "under point" appears
> four times. Generally the Emacs manual is careful to use the phrase
> "after point" when mentioning a character position, or "at point" when
> mentioning a vaguer location. I suggest that "under point" be changed
> to "at point" in this node.

Ditto.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/