Subject: Re: bug#43439: [PATCH] doprnt improvements

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2020 21:12:05 +0300

> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2020 10:58:49 -0700
> 
> On 9/18/20 12:30 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> 
> > How about ... we modify doprint to exit when either it finds
> > NUL or reaches the character specified by FORMAT_END?  This will allow
> > us to keep some of the feature, and I think the amount of changes will
> > be smaller.  It should also not be much slower than what you propose.
> 
> Better yet, let's leave doprnt's API unchanged, and add a function evsnprintf 
> (named by analogy from esprintf) whose API is like C vsnprintf but which does 
> formatting the Emacs way.

No, let's not, please.  I didn't agree to modifying doprnt in
significant ways, so you are now suggesting to do an even more radical
modification, just under another name?  This is moving away of a
potential compromise point, not towards it.