Subject: Re: bug#43432: trilinos source vanished

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 00:37:48 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, 15 Sep 2020 at 22:24, Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]> wrote:
> The source page for trilinos (gnu packages engineering) now points to a
> Github page and the previous tarballs no longer seem to be available.
> There's a content addressed substitute available from Berlin but I don't
> see an original tarball from Debian to point to.

Ouch!

Well, Github delivers this tarball:

  <https://github.com/trilinos/Trilinos/archive/trilinos-release-12-12-1.tar.gz>

but yes, the hash does not match (guix download).  Does it matter?  Is
it not possible to replace the vanished tarball by this one?

And it seems better to switch to git-fetch with commit.  Some arguments
are exposed in this thread:

  <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-05/msg00224.html>

BTW, since the Tarball Heritage is not ready yet, currently the easiest
is to use ’git-fetch’, via “guix lint” to queue to SWH and with the
right content-address, the fallback works.

All the best,
simon