Subject: Re: bug#43412: [FEATURE] autorevert-only-if-visible [PATCH]

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 17:30:31 +0300

> Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 00:07:28 -0400
> From: Boruch Baum <[email-masked]>
> 
> +(defcustom auto-revert-only-if-visible nil
> +  "If non-nil, suppress Auto-Revert Mode when a buffer isn't visible."

"Visible" is ambiguous in this context.  I suggest "not displayed in
any window" instead.  Or, better, just "auto-revert only if buffer is
displayed" (which also solved a problem with double negation).

> +  :version "28")
              ^^^^
"28.1"

> +                         (if (display-graphic-p) 'visible (window-normalize-frame nil)))))))

Is the different treatment of GUI and TTY frames necessary here?

Btw, what will be the effect of this option?  Suppose some buffer was
not displayed and missed its auto-revert opportunity.  Then I switch
to it in some window -- will it appear with stale contents, or will it
auto-revert before being displayed in the window?