Subject: Re: bug#43412: [FEATURE] autorevert-only-if-visible [PATCH]

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 18:49:53 +0300

> Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 11:39:58 -0400
> From: Boruch Baum <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
>   Off-topic: would anything constructive result if I submit a separate
>   'complaint' about that behavior / judgment / decision that 'Such
>   frames are always considered visible'?

That's why I said "visible" is ambiguous.  "Frame visibility" is a
concept in Emacs, so changing it now, and for TTY displays on top of
that, is next to unimaginable, IMO.

> > Btw, what will be the effect of this option?  Suppose some buffer was
> > not displayed and missed its auto-revert opportunity.  Then I switch
> > to it in some window -- will it appear with stale contents, or will it
> > auto-revert before being displayed in the window?
> 
> I kind of mentioned this in my note: From my testing, at the instant an
> un-reverted buffer is displayed, it is in its 'stale' state but is also
> instantly considered for auto-revert.

Maybe we should arrange it to actually auto-revert before being
displayed.  I envision bug reports if we don't.